Adding comment to UPDATING file

Charles Oppermann chuckop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 19:28:06 PDT 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009 9:49:00 am Matthew Seaman wrote:

> >> I find it's also a good idea to add a warning about such things to
> >> any pkg_message printed out at install time.
> >
> > Thanks! I was considering the pkg_message idea; however, users of
> > Portupgrade or other port maintenance tools often do not see the
> > messages printed out out the end of the installation. I will be
> > including a message though.

Is it completely out of the question to either support the old format config
file, or have a utility migrate the settings to the new format?

What's the impact of the user using the upgraded port with the older config
file?  Is it going to prevent the app from running, or will it cause it to
crash, or will there just not be all the functionality available?