Kde4 install - no Xorg

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Fri Nov 28 17:52:58 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 02:26 +0100, Alexey Shuvaev wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 10:10:28AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > Funny thing happened to me on a new install...
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > A day and a half later, the install is finished so I run kdm. Not found
> > so I run a find search and then run /usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm. It comes up
> > saying it can't find and run the Xserver on display :0. What the?!
> >
> > So I run a search on pkg_version -v and find xorg is not installed- what
> > the?! Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought installing kde4
> > would install xorg (I'm pretty sure it has before if I remember right-
> > it has been a while, but I'm sure I'm not that daft) as it kinda needs
> > it to run and ports generally install dependencies. Has someone
> > forgotten this in the Makefile?
> >
> > Not trying to be picky, but I thought it might more sense and offer my
> > view :)
> >
> Well, I would say it is not a bug, it is a feature of X window system.
> I think that X libraries are there, it is X server missing.
> One can install all X applications on one machine (let's say, server)
> and X servers on any number of graphical terminals (yes, X servers are
> run on what is normally called a client). After that it is possible to
> point clients on the server to the right X server (via DISPLAY environment,
> for example). That way the application will be run on server displaying
> output and receiving input from the remote X server. (Yes the terminology
> is weird :)
>
> If you don't care about unnecessary components you can
> cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
> make intstall clean

Yeah I do understand all that, but it did kinda take me by surprise to
find that no xserver was installed (or at least an option to install
xorg wasn't offered in that cool little config window now available).
The libraries were installed, for reference.

That feature to point the clients to one machine is cool, and I have
used it before between desktops, but how often do sysadmins use it like
this on a regular basis as a standalone terminal server? Most regular
setups (xwindow anyway) would normally be running on a decentralised
basis unless there was a specific need, surely.

Just a little warning and/or the option to install xorg might be in
order to give people a heads up would be in order I'm sure. Obviously
not a high priority, but a reasonable request.