Kde4 install - no Xorg

Alexey Shuvaev shuvaev at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Nov 28 17:26:35 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 10:10:28AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> Funny thing happened to me on a new install...
>
> [snip]
>
> A day and a half later, the install is finished so I run kdm. Not found
> so I run a find search and then run /usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm. It comes up
> saying it can't find and run the Xserver on display :0. What the?!
>
> So I run a search on pkg_version -v and find xorg is not installed- what
> the?! Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought installing kde4
> would install xorg (I'm pretty sure it has before if I remember right-
> it has been a while, but I'm sure I'm not that daft) as it kinda needs
> it to run and ports generally install dependencies. Has someone
> forgotten this in the Makefile?
>
> Not trying to be picky, but I thought it might more sense and offer my
> view :)

Well, I would say it is not a bug, it is a feature of X window system.
I think that X libraries are there, it is X server missing.
One can install all X applications on one machine (let's say, server)
and X servers on any number of graphical terminals (yes, X servers are
run on what is normally called a client). After that it is possible to
point clients on the server to the right X server (via DISPLAY environment,
for example). That way the application will be run on server displaying
output and receiving input from the remote X server. (Yes the terminology
is weird :)

If you don't care about unnecessary components you can
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg
make intstall clean

Hope, this explains something,
Alexey.