ports system woes

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 17:59:43 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 7:43 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>
>> Solution is to use tools that are available in our base system.
>> SQLite is not.
>
> Yet :)
> Compared to some of the (huge) things that are maintained in the base,
> maintaining sqlite would be trivial :)
>
> But it's not as if the question is "sqlite or bust" - as OP noted,
> restructuring the system a bit and using better algorithms could fix
> many problems. The thing is - using something like sqlite is (at least
> for people used to SQL) much easier than rolling your own file system
> database (including locking and atomic ops).

We're rehashing the discussion made last year around June - July.

We came to the conclusion that BDB should be used, as no other DB
backend / API exists in the base system (currently), and porting
SQLLite (while nice) appeared to be non-trivial to port and got a lot
of unhappy responses from folks.

-Garrett