Utility for safe updating of ports in base system

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 20 15:51:28 PDT 2008

Doug Barton wrote:

> A user pointed out to me that on the project ideas page the following
> entry remains:
>
> Write a new utility for the pkg_install suite, possibly named
> pkg_upgrade(1), implementing a subset of existing portupgrade
> functionality. The required functionality is:

FWIW, I have no idea why this is on the project list.  I suspect it was
added by someone without any consensus that it's a good idea.

We have several upgrade tools in ports, and that is where they belong.
Any effort should be spent on improving existing tools, unless you can
make a really good case why they are fundamentally flawed and need to be
rewritten from scratch, discarding all of the previous work on them.

Kris