linkage fails on freebsd <7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 19 04:24:02 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:33:15PM +0300, M. Yu. Brazhnikov wrote:
> The port I maintaint fails on link stage on freebsd 5.x and 6.x (you can find
> build log at miwi tinderbox
> http://head.miwibox.org/tb/index.php?action=describe_port&id=2417)
> In short it complains on undefined function from libc. I've compared work dirs
> on 6.x and 7.x and found no essential difference. The only note -- if I pass
> LDFLAGS=-shared-libgcc to 'make' then the build goes fine.
>
> Could someone more experienced clarify the situation?

My guess is that the problem is because gcc42 is involved with an older
FreeBSD.  RELENG_5 uses gcc 2.95.2 by default, while RELENG_6 uses gcc
3.4.6.  RELENG_7 uses 4.2.1.  Therefore, I'm betting that when you use a
non-native gcc on an older platform, it *expects* you to rely on libgcc
(which is a shared library) to gain access to all of the functions which
are missing.

Is gcc 4.2 really required for that port to build?