xmms fails to play on 7.0

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Sun Mar 9 19:33:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:34:33PM -0400, Andrew J. Caines wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> XMMS hasn't been an actively maintained piece of software for a long,
> long time[1].

Yet sadly, at least for me, it still seems to work far
better than the offspring :(

> Several projects[2] have grown from it:
>
> XMMS --> Beep Media Player (BMP) --> BMPx
>                                  \--> Audacious

I haven't tried BMPx to be honest.
But I uninstalled Audacious today after using it for a while, because:

* When playing URLs it takes much longer to start playing than xmms.
* I cannot drag files or directories from the xfce filemanager
  (thunar) nor from either of the two audacious file selection
  dialogs into the audacious playlist. Dragging from thunar into
  xmms just works.
* Audacious has no "add directory" dialog either, it only let's
  me add all files in the current directory (in either file
  selection dialog).
* With the new Audacious default theme (black) filenames in the file
  selector (the xmms-style one) are printed black on black (yay!).
* Audacious uses way more CPU than xmms does.

The only issue I have with xmms is that it uses GTK1 which
looks ugly. So what. At least it works :)

I'll look into BMPx though, thanks for mentioning it.
--
stefan
http://stsp.name                                         PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0