de-acroread8 not starting any more

Fri Jan 25 04:12:32 PST 2008

Quoting Rainer Hurling <rhurlin at gwdg.de> (from Thu, 24 Jan 2008
16:53:01 +0100):

> Dear list,
>
> after recent updates of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and some ports (gnome, kde,
> xorg etc.) acroread8 (german version) does not start any more. I have
> this behaviour on two machines.
>
> Instead starting the program a message with backtrace information
> appears, see below.
>
> The error message is irritating because libc.so.6 is stored under
> /usr/local/lib/compat. On /lib/ there is the newer libc.so.7.

Acroread is a linux program, so it is supposed to take the libs from
/compat/linux/..., you need to take this as the base path instead of a
plain / if you look for libs.

> I am working with emulators/linux_base-f7-7.

This is not the default linux base. Please revert to the default linux
base and the default linux kernel emulation (2.4.2 instead of
something else). If the problem persists, then the problem is probably
within the userland. If it doesn't persist, then you've hit one of the
problems with the non default linux kernel emulation.

>> acroread
> rm: cannot remove
> `/home/rhurlin/.adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Preferences/mozilla/prefs.js':
> Function not implemented

This is strange... I wouldn't expect a "Function not implemented" for an rm.

> (acroread:1115): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> *** glibc detected ***
> /usr/local/Adobe/Reader8/DEU/Adobe/Reader8/bin/acroread: double free or
> corruption (!prev): 0x002ad9f8 ***

This may be the cause of the previous error or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Since we have to speak well of the dead, let's knock them while they're
alive.