de-acroread8 not starting any more

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sat Jan 26 14:08:46 PST 2008

Thank you for answering.

On 25.01.2008 13:08 (UTC+1), Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Rainer Hurling <rhurlin at gwdg.de> (from Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:53:01
> +0100):
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> after recent updates of FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT and some ports (gnome, kde,
>> xorg etc.) acroread8 (german version) does not start any more. I have
>> this behaviour on two machines.
>>
>> Instead starting the program a message with backtrace information
>> appears, see below.
>>
>> The error message is irritating because libc.so.6 is stored under
>> /usr/local/lib/compat. On /lib/ there is the newer libc.so.7.
>
> Acroread is a linux program, so it is supposed to take the libs from
> /compat/linux/..., you need to take this as the base path instead of a
> plain / if you look for libs.

Sorry, I should have known this.

>> I am working with emulators/linux_base-f7-7.
>
> This is not the default linux base. Please revert to the default linux
> base and the default linux kernel emulation (2.4.2 instead of something
> else). If the problem persists, then the problem is probably within the
> userland. If it doesn't persist, then you've hit one of the problems
> with the non default linux kernel emulation.

Yes, it is not the default base. But the first few days after appearance
of the new port acroread8 all works fine with acroread. I reported on
another thread to Hiroki Sato ... Now I changed back to default :-)

>>> acroread
>> rm: cannot remove
>> `/home/rhurlin/.adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Preferences/mozilla/prefs.js':
>> Function not implemented
>
> This is strange... I wouldn't expect a "Function not implemented" for an
> rm.
>
>> (acroread:1115): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>> *** glibc detected ***
>> /usr/local/Adobe/Reader8/DEU/Adobe/Reader8/bin/acroread: double free or
>> corruption (!prev): 0x002ad9f8 ***
>
> This may be the cause of the previous error or not.

All these errors went away after changing linux base from f7 back to fc4
(compat.linux.osrelease 2.4.2). Only the message about not supported
locale remains. But this is a problem with gtk/gnome I think.

> Bye,
> Alexander.

Thanks again,
Rainer