HOW-TO get Flash7 working!

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Fri Jan 18 10:47:55 PST 2008

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:34:23
> -0500):

>> Boris Samorodov wrote:

>>> Please, give me strict instructions how to repeate (what to do
>>> after a fresh install):
>>> -----
>>> 0. Fresh RELENG_X_Y install.
>>> 2. Fresh ports (or date=...).
>>> 3. ...
>>
>> I said at the very beginning of this thread, that I didn't keep track of
>> what I did, because the tack I took was to relocate all of the libs to
>> the
>> /compat tree, and this sort of strategy can't be taken until I could get
>> official approval of that as the correct method to take for
>> installation of
>> Linux libraries.  If I got that approval, I said I would undertake to
>> locate and fix all of the ports that currently install Linux stuff
>> into the
>> /usr/local tree, and then make the flash9 work.  This sort of tack
>> can't be
>
> Have a look at the archives, I just got a message from eculp@??? that he
> resinstalled all linux ports from scratch (empty /compat/linux) and the
> flash9 plugin was loaded by firefox (native and linux one). Flash9
> crashes after a while for him. This is a known problem and the cause is
> somewhere in some kernel part of the linuxulator. Flash 7 works for him
> without problems.
>
> I still think you should try again with a fresh system. If you don't
> want to lose your current state, just use a jail or a virtual machine to
> install the things there. If you still have problems there, just report
> the error message firefox will spit out when he tries to load the
> plugin. Please don't copy things around, so that we can analyze the
> problem.

I had a fresh system.  When I put all the pieces in place via the ports,
the flash9 didn't work.  I have explained ad nauseum about why what I want
is the correct way to go, from both a reasonable standpoint, and also froma
standpoint of trying to follow hier(7).  I wasn't able to get official
notice, either with this thread, or with a direct mail I sent.  I'm
finished arguing.  I know better then to try to argue the individual ports
authors, without having offficial approval of what I want, I would just be
asking for endless arguing, and I don't like that.  I tried, and it looks
to me like I failed.

You know, I have gone to using my Mac OS/X system to do my browsing, but
you are right about one point, I did notice a crash or two from firefox, if
I did enough flash exercise.... but even though I admit I would kinda like
to track that down, I couldn't do it if I was at the same time fighting a
that problem, maybe I could go ahead, here, and try to track it down.  Be
enough to interest me, I might go ahead and work on that.  I kinda like the
linuxulator code.
]
Anyhow, I am hereby finished with this thread, I gave it a fair try, and
failed.