HOW-TO get Flash7 working!

Wed Jan 16 23:43:35 PST 2008

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Wed, 16 Jan 2008
14:34:23 -0500):

> Boris Samorodov wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:10:15 -0500 Chuck Robey wrote:
>>
>>> All those libraries need to be found
>>> by the flash9 plugin library.
>>
>> Please, give me strict instructions how to repeate (what to do
>> after a fresh install):
>> -----
>> 0. Fresh RELENG_X_Y install.
>> 2. Fresh ports (or date=...).
>> 3. ...
>
> I said at the very beginning of this thread, that I didn't keep track of
> what I did, because the tack I took was to relocate all of the libs to the
> /compat tree, and this sort of strategy can't be taken until I could get
> official approval of that as the correct method to take for installation of
> Linux libraries.  If I got that approval, I said I would undertake to
> locate and fix all of the ports that currently install Linux stuff into the
> /usr/local tree, and then make the flash9 work.  This sort of tack can't be

Have a look at the archives, I just got a message from eculp@??? that
he resinstalled all linux ports from scratch (empty /compat/linux) and
the flash9 plugin was loaded by firefox (native and linux one). Flash9
crashes after a while for him. This is a known problem and the cause
is somewhere in some kernel part of the linuxulator. Flash 7 works for
him without problems.

I still think you should try again with a fresh system. If you don't
want to lose your current state, just use a jail or a virtual machine
to install the things there. If you still have problems there, just
report the error message firefox will spit out when he tries to load
the plugin. Please don't copy things around, so that we can analyze
the problem.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Money and women are the most sought after and the least known of any two
things we have.