Port of SVN snapshot, PORTVERSION choice

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 16 11:18:03 PST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 16:29 , Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Another question: I'm going to make a port based on SVN revision of
> certain software - what PORTVERSION should I use? Authors suggested
> "r${REVISION}", but that seem uncommon for FreeBSD ports, so I think
> more of "0.0.${REVISION}". Any examples of ports of SVN snapshots?

For the myriad of local ports we ($REALJOB) have that relate to SVN
(or CVS for that matter) snapshots, as opposed to actual releases, we
tend to use "0.[date-of-snap]", eg: 0.20080116.

Then we move on to 1.x, 2.x, and so on as things are "released".  I
prefer using the date as opposed to a SCM-specific revision number, to
maintain consistency, and also give an immediate piece of information
as to the date at which the snapshot was taken.

If there's a chance that the software in question could be released
as, say, 0.1, then you'd want to go to 0.0.[date-of-snap] to be on the
safe side, and allow portupgrade et al to work correctly.

-aDe