CFT: Adobe Reader 8 + SCIM/UIM

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 14 11:55:33 PST 2008

Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net> wrote
  in <20080114180414.28009108 at anthesphoria.net>:

ni> >  - acroread8 + GTK_IM_MODULE=xim + XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
ni>
ni> Not for me. Linux im-scim.so must be present, and GTK_IM_MODULE must be
ni> changed to scim. Otherwise, acroread8 will load linux im-xim.so and SCIM
ni> won't work. XMODIFIERS doesn't matter in this case.
ni>
ni> (Again, I think that xim/XIM isn't preferable combination for SCIM user,
ni> as stated above.)
ni>
ni> >  - acroread8 + GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
ni>
ni> * With linux im-scim.so present, yes, it works.
ni> * Without linux im-scim.so, nothing bad happens. acroread8 just loads
ni>   Linux im-xim.so and SCIM won't work.

 Thank you for the report.  In my environment,
 acroread8+GTK_IM_MODULE=xim+XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM works well, and when
 Linux im-scim.so does not exist, acroread8+GTK_IM_MODULE=scim does
 not load Linux im-xim.so and just gets hosed just after FreeBSD's
 im-scim.so loaded.

ni> ... and that's why this confuses me: do you mean that you get
ni> acroread8+SCIM working without linux im-scim.so?

 Yes, by setting GTK_IM_MODULE=xim + XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM.  Linux
 im-xim.so is used at that time.

 Hmm, these two cases are different from me.  Let me investigate this
 further...  This problem is due to interaction between FreeBSD's gtk
 library and Linux's, so I am guessing there is consistency in some
 degree and want to figure out it.

 And honestly, I do not want to add a separate port that installs the
 Linux im-scim.so if possible because if the acroread8 port should
 depend on it or not is a moot point.

 Any other people can reproduce these symptoms?  I received both "OK"
 and "NG" reports when both GTK_IM_MODULE=xim and XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
 are set at a time so far, and bit confused.