lsof and ZFS

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Jan 7 07:31:16 PST 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> WS> > I actually talked to the author the other day on a different matter, and
> WS> > he mentioned that he is planning to add ZFS support.  Unfortunatly, the
> WS> > FreeBSD -CURRENT machine he used, sledge.freebsd.org, is down right now,
> WS> > so we're working on finding another machine he can access.  So
> WS> > hopefully, real soon now(tm).
> WS>
> WS> I have a machine which fits that description I would be glad to give him
> WS> access to.
> WS>
> WS> There is actually a PR for this (119041).  The maintainer wishes to hold
> WS> off on adding a custom patch to the port in favor of the next upcoming
> WS> version which should support ZFS.
>
> I see, thanks.
>
> The only additional thing I would like to bring attention at is the fact that
> ZFS can be used as root, requiring to additionally patch lsof like FreeSBIE
> people did for cd9660 root.

I believe Vic Abell (the author) is aware of this, although my machines (that
he is using for the dev, on RELENG_7), are NOT rooted on ZFS, although
everything else, except swap, is on ZFS.

I'll CC Vic on this reply as well.

Thanks,
Larry Rosenman
sysutils/lsof maintainer

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893