problems with linux ports

Wed Nov 21 00:40:44 PST 2007

Quoting Chuck Robey <chuckr at chuckr.org> (from Tue, 20 Nov 2007
22:32:17 -0500):

> I sam working to try getting a current flash working, and I found
> something that seems screwy.  I've had pr0blems with the way that ports
> do/don't respect LOCALBASE/X11BASE so far, and while I guess I was
> wrong, I think I would ask someone else to check this ... the
> www/linux-firefox-devel (and probably the linux-firefox) ports sticks
> its large selection of shared libs intoa subdir named firefox-devel,
> but instead of this going into /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib like I was
> expecting, its being stuck into /usr/local/lib.  The files aren't bsd
> llibs, they're SYSV libs, so i dono't think that the linux ldconfig
> should go hunting over there.

And ldconfig will not hunt there, as it has to be run chrooted to
LINUXBASE (linux ldconfig can chroot himself).

> I think it's installing in the wrong spot.  So I can continue with my
> work on the Adobe stuff, I'm going to fix my stuff here anyhow.  Let me
> know if I'm right, ok?  I'd file the PR if you wanted, I just want
> someone to verify this as wrong.

Firefox is special, and linux emulation is special too, so the end
result is extra special.

Firefox will look by himself into those directories, no need to ldconfig them.

For the linux ports I suggest to not rely on your old knowledge about
it. I've redesigned the behavior a little bit (e.g., there's a fall
through to some FreeBSD config files by either symlinking to the right
path, or by a direct "fall trough: to the FreeBSD files).

In general, infrastructure ports should go to LINUXBASE, and
application ports to LOCALBASE (we don't really have X11BASE in the
ports anymore since some months). If an application does install
generic infrastructure things, it should be split up so that it fits
the above description. If this is not possible (or too hard), we need
to find another solution. If it doesn't conflict with native ports
(for example if the infrastructure can not be used in general, as it
is not pick up by e.g. the native gcc or run time linker), we can
install it in LOCALBASE. A cleaner solution would be to put it into
LINUXBASE and install just a wrapper script into LOCALBASE which calls
the /comapt/linux/... binary. This is up to the port maintainer (he
can put a CONFLICTS line into the port), and maybe general consensus.
I haven't looked at the linux-firefox* ports, so I can't tell if it
would be an improvement to move it to LINUXBASE or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The answer to the question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is...

	Four day work week,
	Two ply toilet paper!