Setting X11BASE

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun May 20 20:24:17 UTC 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 02:46:01PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On May 20, 2007 3:13:42 PM +0200 Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:
>
> >Hello.
> >I'm trying to do security updates on a few hosts of mine, but nothing
> >(portsdb, portupgrade, ...) will work, with the following reason.
> >
> > >On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set default
> >>X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting
> >>X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
> > >On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE, please
> >>set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
> >
> >I know of the X.Org 7.2 update, but I'm trying to avoid that, since this
> >are text-mode servers, and I only have xorg-libraries-6.x as a
> >dependency of other ports.
> >
> I'm in the same situation, with several headless servers with no X running
> but xorg-libraries installed as a dependency.
>
> I tried running portupgrade -ai on one server.  It failed.
>
> I ran pkgdb -L and fixed a tons of dependencies by installing the new xorg
> 7.2 ports.  Then I ran portupgrade -ai again.  This time it upgraded
> xorg-libraries from 6.9 to 7.2, and the only failures were related to php4
> (which was held up by the port freeze and needs a security update, which
> should be released shortly.)
>
> I'm not sure what to do next.  I put X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in
> /etc/make.conf, and I ran mergebase.sh.  Is there anything else that I
> need to do?

Following directions is considered too hard?  If you're going to do
things in some random order you came up with on your own (instead of
following the careful, precise directions provided in UPDATING) then I
don't have a lot of patience for helping you recover your damaged
system.  Good luck :-)

Kris