Setting X11BASE

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun May 20 19:46:44 UTC 2007

--On May 20, 2007 3:13:42 PM +0200 Andrea Venturoli <ml at netfence.it> wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm trying to do security updates on a few hosts of mine, but nothing
> (portsdb, portupgrade, ...) will work, with the following reason.
>
>  >On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set default
> >X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting
> >X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
>  >On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE, please
> >set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
>
> I know of the X.Org 7.2 update, but I'm trying to avoid that, since this
> are text-mode servers, and I only have xorg-libraries-6.x as a
> dependency of other ports.

I'm in the same situation, with several headless servers with no X running
but xorg-libraries installed as a dependency.

I tried running portupgrade -ai on one server.  It failed.

I ran pkgdb -L and fixed a tons of dependencies by installing the new xorg
7.2 ports.  Then I ran portupgrade -ai again.  This time it upgraded
xorg-libraries from 6.9 to 7.2, and the only failures were related to php4
(which was held up by the port freeze and needs a security update, which
should be released shortly.)

I'm not sure what to do next.  I put X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in
/etc/make.conf, and I ran mergebase.sh.  Is there anything else that I
need to do?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas