HEADS UP: xorg 7.2 ready for testing

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Fri May 11 13:54:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:28:17 -0400
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> Dear porters,
>
> We are now ready for xorg 7.2 testing!  Over the past week we have
> done extensive tests of various upgrade scenarios, fixed many
> remaining bugs, and now the upgrade is looking good.  Of course, we
> can't possibly test everything, so that's where you come in.  What we
> need now is for everyone to download this tarball:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/ports-xorg-7.2.tbz
>
> Extract it into a clean directory (i.e. not over the top of your
> existing ports tree), then follow the directions in UPDATING to begin
> the upgrade process.  In particular, please pay special attention to
> the instructions on how to record and report information should
> something go wrong: without a transcript of the upgrade session we may
> be unable to determine what went wrong on your system, and your report
> may be wasted.
>
> We're asking all FreeBSD ports committers and other interested
> developers to participate in this process: it's now up to you guys to
> test the upgrade and report problems you encounter, before we unleash
> it on the general user base.
>
> Once we have enough success reports and have dealt with all reported
> failures, we will proceed with the next stage, which is to import into
> CVS.
>
> Kris

Just one minor nit to pick re: the UPDATING message:

Since portupgrade now supports the --batch switch, setting the BATCH
environment variable is no longer necessary.  I expect that many people
who haven't looked at the portupgrade man page in a while may be
missing out on this (relatively) new feature.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net>