Uggg!

Craig Boston craig at yekse.gank.org
Sun Jun 3 04:38:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 05:40:57PM +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> Sure. But that doesn't explain why so many +CONTENT files were screwed
> up and why there isn't a easy or easier way to re-generate them.

Sound like pretty standard behavior of softupdates to me.  Often files
that were created within the last (memory fuzzy) seconds will be lost.
I suspect in both cases the battery died right after an upgrade finished
and portupgrade tweaked the +CONTENTS files of pretty much everything in
order to update dependencies.  I'd wager it's doing a create temp
file/delete/rename dance.

As far as I can tell, having files disappear is considered better than
ending up with a corrupt filesystem, so sayeth the FS gods.

It might be interesting to see how UFS+gjournal/ZFS stack up under similar
circumstances.

Craig

(apologies if anyone has posted this already, I'm only about 1/3 down
the thread)