Uggg!

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Fri Jun 1 15:01:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 02:15:48AM -0700, Ade Lovett wrote:

   On Jun 01, 2007, at 01:33 , Kris Kennaway wrote:
  > Download the packages from the FTP site and either reinstall them or
  > extract the +CONTENTS.  This will work best if you don't have local
  > make.conf customizations, otherwise you will see variance.

   Actually, this does bring up a meta-issue that ports, pkgsrc, portage, all
   suffer from.

   What happens when the metadata gets blown away (by accident, hardware crash,
   flaming meteor from Mars, etc.)

   Is there anything we can do to mitigate this?

   Yes.  It's an open-ended question.  I also have no obvious solution.  But I
   do see the need for such.

   -aDe

gjournal :)

My two cents:
I've been using it on my laptop since soon after it was available in -current
and I love it to pieces, it has been perfectly stable for me and I would be
using it on my production servers it it were available in -stable.  It seems
like it would be an invaluable tool for developers or users who might expect
crashes.  I admit I am only using it on /usr, and my laptop has /var on /,
but my crashes come from hardware or battery and I almost never compile while
on battery.