Keeping Ports and Packages Synchronized

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Jul 27 14:42:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:07:25 +1000
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> I believe the problem is more that there's a noticable delay between a
> port being updated and a matching set of packages being available.

At least for me, it hardly ever is an actual problem. I mean, building ports from source can't be much easier (if some kinks are not left in the system, it wouldn't be fun to use ;) ).

I know that not everyone has fast machines to build larger ports from source (although pretty much any machine built over the last 6 years would do just fine)... but it seems to me the ones who are facing some actual problems are those with much older machines that, for some reason, have to keep every single port up to date. Which is a much more reduce set than 'everyone' :)

for what is worth, if anyone wants a package and I have it handy on any of my machines , drop me a line and I'll send it your way - you will have to trust of course the binary files coming from me instead of waiting for the official, reliable one from freebsd.org .... but hey, if you are in a rush and can't be bothered building from src ... ;)

regards,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Produce great people, the rest will follow."
  Elbert Hubbard