Keeping Ports and Packages Synchronized

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 27 09:07:29 UTC 2007

On 2007-Jul-27 07:51:57 +0100, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>Would it be feasible to use CVS tags to mark the state of the ports
>tree whenever a package is successfully rebuilt by the cluster and
>pushed out to the FTP servers?

This would generate an immense amount of CVS repo churn and I'm not
certain it would actually solve the problem.  Keep in mind that it's
not one tag per architecture but one tag per architecture per FreeBSD
version (this is about 20 variants).

>Then cvs, csup and cvsup users at least have a fairly simple way to
>check out a ports tree that matches what's available in pkg form on
>the FTP servers.

I believe the problem is more that there's a noticable delay between a
port being updated and a matching set of packages being available.
Even if you added a tag slip whenever a package was successfully built
on each platform, there are still differential delays between the
tagged ports tree being available from the varions CVSup/CTM servers
and the packages being available from the FTP mirrors.

I suspect you would also need an INDEX built to that tag - which means
about 20 INDEX files instead of 3.

--
Peter Jeremy