Fwd: CUPS vs lpt0

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Jul 25 01:18:36 UTC 2007

I originally sent this to the CUPS maintainer and got a "that would be
nice" reply to the last part, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to
do :)

Hi,
Recently I have had trouble using CUPS and I tracked it down to the fact
that CUPS [now] appears to access device nodes as a non-root user.
Unfortunately this conflicts with the standard permissions
for /dev/lpt0.

Do you have an opinion on the correct solution? I have
an /etc/devfs.rules file with this in it..
[root=100]
add path 'lpt*' group cups mode 660

And have this in /etc/rc.conf..
devfs_system_ruleset="root"

but this is annoying to have to remember to do for a new install.

I wonder if an lpt group should be created by default and then the CUPS
user can be a member.

Thanks.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum