powerdot

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Wed Jul 25 00:51:16 UTC 2007

Hello Predrag,

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:02:56 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I would like to bring to your attention the fact that there is a new
> (actually about 3 years old) Latex class of presentations called
> powerdot which replaces obsolete  and baggy class of presentations
> called prosper  (comprehensive information about all Latex classes of
> slide presentations can be found at
> http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/bytopic.html#present).
>
> Prosper is ported for a very long time, beamer another popular class
> of presentations is ported as well. However powerdot is not ported.
> The advantages of powerdot over beamer are plentiful
> (starting with the fact that manual is about 60 pages vs beamer
> manual 400pages). The only reason that beamer seems to gain more
> popularity is that fact that can be directly compiled by pdflatex
> while powerdot requires tex>dvi>ps>pdf. This is really not a problem
> since most integrated tex environments allow users to set the option
> tex>dvi>ps>pdf for compiling.
>
> On the same note I believe that the issue of the porting of TeXLive
> (light version of course) should be reconsidered [...]

Nobody thinks that TeXLive shouldn't be ported :) What do you mean by
"light version"?

> not just because of the fact that TeXLive includes powerdot and
> beamer as a standard packages but because teTeX will not exist for to
> much longer (I am not sure if you are familiar with the fact that
> teTeX is winding down activities and that LiveTeX is becoming
> standard *nix distribution).

There was a small discussion related to porting TeXLive to FreeBSD 3-4
days ago, please see the archives; I'm personally interested to see it
ported (and to help), too. AFAIK hrs@ is working on it, but still no
answer from him.

Nikola Lečić