JDK for linux-firefox 2.0.0.5

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Mon Jul 23 20:57:41 UTC 2007

Hello Chris and Norberto,

Just to add a couple of ideas...

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:17:47 +0200
"Chris Billington" <billington.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/23/07, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
[...]
> > I imagine the java plugin doesn't show in about:plugins .
> > In that case, make sure that you have (well, this was for
> > linux-firefox with the lot):
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/plugins
> > $ ls -l
> > total 20
>

> > But you really want this :
> > sudo ln
> > -s /usr/local/linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> >

> > > The jdk1.6 linux binary installer hangs the browser on the test
> > > page.
> > >
> > > Which is the most suitable JVM for the linux-firefox port?
> >
> > I used to have linux-blackdown 1.4 running with no problem.
> >

> > > nspluginwrapper port is installed. Are any other ports required,
> > > for example linuxpluginwrapper? (this last one doesn't seem to
> > > make any difference).
> > >
> > > Obviously I would prefer to use the native Firefox, but there are
> > > stability and audio issues with the Flash plugin that make this
> > > difficult.
> >
> > Works fine here: ffox native, native jdk 1.5, flash 7, acrobat
> > reader, most multimedia formats inline There have been a couple of
> > threads in July in questions@ about this.
> >
> > firefox-2.0.0.5,1
> > javavmwrapper-2.3
> > diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_6
> > linux-flashplugin-7.0r69
> > nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.4_2
>
> I checked and it is as you say- the native Firefox works fine using
> nspluginwrapper properly. The only issue is the well-known audio out
> of sync on Flash videos from Youtube.

YouTube videos should work flawlessly, and this is well-known. :-) If
you have that problem, please report if YouTube works as expected in
www/kazehakase (to rule out the plugin/wrapper problem in your
installation).

> Even my favourite flash7-crasher www.davehum.com works correctly with
> a feeble *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING: unhandled variable 11 in
> NPP_GetValue() in the console window now and again.

This is a harmless warning message and a known issue in current
nspluginwrapper version. Just ignore it.

> However, I gave up on getting Java working in Linux-Firefox. The
> plugins _do_ show in about:plugins, but the Java test page shows
> 'applet testvm not inited' (on the sun-jdk14 only, otherwise nothing).
> The Java console works, and 's' for system settings shows
> '/usr/local/bin/opera' as the 'browser distribution path'. Hmm. This
> is in linux-firefox. My eye is on the opera-linuxplugins port as a
> possible culprit.

Try linux-opera with linux-blackdown-jdk-1.4; it just works (no
additional ports needed -- just as Norberto has already said for
linux-firefox).

Nikola Lečić