JDK for linux-firefox 2.0.0.5

Chris Billington billington.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:17:52 UTC 2007

On 7/23/07, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:30:34 +0200
> "Chris Billington" <billington.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Which jdk should be used for the current version of linux-firefox
> > (2.0.0.5)? (6.2-STABLE)
> >
> > I have tried linux-blackdown/jdk14, linux-sun/jdk15, and even the
> > latest linux jdk 1.6 from the Sun website. linux-sun/jdk15 reports
> > security vulnerabilities and won't install.
> >
> > All of the above 3 report successful plugin installation after making
> > the symlink to libjavaplugin_oji.so in the
> > /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/plugins directory, but fail to run
> > website Java applets or show correct installation on the Sun Java test
> > page http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
>
> I imagine the java plugin doesn't show in about:plugins .
> In that case, make sure that you have (well, this was for linux-firefox with the lot):
>
> /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/plugins
> $ ls -l
> total 20

> But you really want this :
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>

> > The jdk1.6 linux binary installer hangs the browser on the test page.
> >
> > Which is the most suitable JVM for the linux-firefox port?
>
> I used to have linux-blackdown 1.4 running with no problem.
>

> > nspluginwrapper port is installed. Are any other ports required, for
> > example linuxpluginwrapper? (this last one doesn't seem to make any
> > difference).
> >
> > Obviously I would prefer to use the native Firefox, but there are
> > stability and audio issues with the Flash plugin that make this
> > difficult.
>
> Works fine here: ffox native, native jdk 1.5, flash 7, acrobat reader, most multimedia formats inline There have been a couple of threads in July in questions@ about this.
>
> firefox-2.0.0.5,1
> javavmwrapper-2.3
> diablo-jdk-1.5.0.07.01_6
> linux-flashplugin-7.0r69
> nspluginwrapper-0.9.91.4_2

> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

I checked and it is as you say- the native Firefox works fine using
nspluginwrapper properly. The only issue is the well-known audio out
of sync on Flash videos from Youtube.
Even my favourite flash7-crasher www.davehum.com works correctly with a feeble
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING: unhandled variable 11 in NPP_GetValue()
in the console window now and again.

However, I gave up on getting Java working in Linux-Firefox. The
plugins _do_ show in about:plugins, but the Java test page shows
'applet testvm not inited' (on the sun-jdk14 only, otherwise nothing).
The Java console works, and 's' for system settings shows
'/usr/local/bin/opera' as the 'browser distribution path'. Hmm. This
is in linux-firefox. My eye is on the opera-linuxplugins port as a
possible culprit.

regards
Chris