"Recommended test ordering" question.

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 15 03:03:05 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:33:07PM +0100, Julien Gabel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just updated the patch for a little port i maintained, and encountered
>> a curious error following the "Recommended test ordering" found in the
>> FreeBSD Porter's Handbook to test it properly.  Here are the steps:
>>  - make install
>>    => ok.
>>  - make package
>>    => ok.
>>  - make deinstall
>>    => ok.
>>  - pkg_add package-name
>>    => ok.
>>  - make deinstall
>>    => Errors about directories which can't be deleted.
>>    => Directories _not_ present anymore, but were present after the
>>       pkg_add step.
>>    => ok (port seems deinstalled correctly).
>>  - make reinstall
>>    => ok.
>>  - make package
>>    => ok.
>>
>> Any suggestion on why i get these errors, although all "seems" fine?
>
> Your pkg-plist is incorrect.  Perhaps you are doing things in your
> post-install script that are only executed when the port makefile is
> run, but do not have a corresponding @exec statement in your
> pkg-plist.

[...] or the "make install" step might also create empty directories.
You should add those with "@exec mkdir -p %D/share/foo" in the packing
list. Note that these steps won't tell you if you have installed files
not recorded in the packing list. Using PREFIX=/tmp/foo usually help,
assuming it is prefix-clean.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org