Migration to gfortran42

NAKATA Maho chat95 at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 05:04:12 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'd like to migrate gfortran42.
* g77/gfortran42 object incompatibility (gfortran42 -ff2c solves the problem, though, but
ports becomes very complex!)
* g77 cannot access very large (>4G indeices) becase we cannot set integer*8 for default.
* FreeBSD7 might not be shipped with gfortran(I'm not sure), even though migrate to gcc42.
* Debian will also recompile all fortran libraries by gfortran. and othre distros as well.

I have already set gfortran42 as default compiler for math/atlas, math/atlas-devel, benchmarks/himenobench.

if you are using older gcc42, please upgrade to newer ones, as gfortran42 is installed as default.
See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=107601
for RFC.

see also http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranResults for performance of gfortran.

any comments are welcome.