where to install kld ports

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Tue Feb 13 22:22:24 UTC 2007

Hi!

 I received a request (with patch) to install kqemu-kmod in
/usr/local/modules like fusefs-kmod does.  Other klds, like
nivdia-driver, still install into /boot/modules, so I wonder what
is better...  The upside would be that the kld wouldn't be deleted
by installkernel, the downsides I can see are 1. additional steps
to be done by the user (see /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod/pkg-message)
and 2. users may forget to rebuild the kld after upgrading the kernel,
which may be needed depending on what changed in the new kernel.

 So, what do you ppl think?

 Thanx,
	Juergen