pkgupgrade

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Feb 11 18:57:43 UTC 2007

In <20070211122314.GA1589 at tuatara.fishballoon.org>, Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd at fishballoon.org> typed:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 04:40:28PM +0100, Michel Talon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > this is to report a revised version of my program, intended to upgrade
> > a machine using mainly precompiled packages. All problems that i have
> > seen or have been reported to me have been fixed. So i think it is
> > reasonably suitable for use, and i have sticked a 1.0 label.
> > I have also fixed all problems i have encountered with save_pkg.py, but
> > Cyrille Szymanski will perform a better cleanup, so i have appended a
> > 0.5 tag. So fresh copies can be downloaded from:
> > http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/pkgupgrade-1.0
> > http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/save_pkg.py-0.5
> Good work, this script is pretty cool!  One thing that might be nice to add
> is an option to download new packages from the packages-X-stable
> directory, if a newer version is found there.  I think you only ever look
> in packages-X.Y-release at the moment, and those never change after the
> release as far as I know.

While the option might be useful, you may want to build from source in
that case. While ports that postdate X.Y are supposed to build and run
correctly on X.Y (for supported values of X & Y), and packages built
on systems that predate X.Y are supposed to run correctly on X.Y,
packages built on systems that postdate X.Y may not run correctly on
X.Y. If you're already doing thorough testing of the system after you
upgrade the packages, this doesn't really make much difference. But if
you're expecting that the testing was done by someone else, your
expectations don't match reality.

	<mike