Limitations of Ports System

Aryeh M. Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:40:02 PST 2007

Remko Lodder wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> Remko Lodder wrote:

>>> These threads have gone far enough, please consider taking this
>>> off the FreeBSD mailinglists and discuss this privately. The
>>> majority does not like the current ideas and want to see
>>> something usefull first. People like Aryeh and David are not
>>> really persons that one would see as the persons generating the
>>> ports-infrastructure-ng till they have code. If you both keep
>>> pissing off people that have a fair share in the ports
>>> collection already, please do it by other means, dont crowd the
>>> mailinglists with it. Your ideas might be perfect in your world
>>>  but they aint in ours (till you have shown working code). So
>>> please stfu till you have some code and be done with it <DOT>.
>> Developing in a vacuum is a recipe for disaster.... we are making
>>  fairly good progress believe it or not I only see an other 1 or
>> 2 threads being needed before actual coding starts, *BUT*
>> producing a system no one wants is pointless thus it is wise to
>> gather as much input as possible...  why is it that everyone who
>> sees the whole concept as being negative has offered no input
>> what so ever about what should be done (even saying "the current
>> system is fine" is useful to us)
>>

> simply because we have seen it failing a lot of times. Please take
> this offlist,discuss this and generate a nice PoC, then get back to
> us, till that time, DONT bother the ports list with it or any other
> list. You are the single reason for a HIGH S/N ration on MOST lists
> I am subscribed to that is a REALLY -BAD- thing.

Perhaps one reason it has failed is because there was not a wide
enough front end effort to decide what was really needed vs. what some
individual thought was needed... as to the s/n thing there would be
lot less if you actually debated on the technical merits of the
proposal and not the meta discussion of does something belong here or
list b or where ever... unless you think community input is completely
pointless I invite you to suggest an other medium that allows for it
without making is semi-obscure and hard to find.

> You Simply dont understand the way it works here and I can
> understand that till a certain point of view; take the advise;
> discuss it elsewhere, and get back with working code (yeah I repeat
> it twice because nobody seems to get through to you, and MANY
> people tried it already).
Oh I hear the message loud and clear and just happen to not agree with
the thinking behind it.   Namely ivory tower development has its place
but not here.