Ion3 license violation

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Dec 13 03:02:37 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:42:53AM +0100, Philip Paeps wrote:
> Anyway.  How does portmgr feel about this?  Aye or nay?

I do not yet believe that it is possible to meet Tuomo's interpretation
of his license without his prior review of every possible patch, and I'm
not willing to obligate the FreeBSD project, in perpetuity, to be able
to do so.  I have no faith whatsoever that the criteria won't change
underneath us, based on the conversations with the pkgsrc, OpenBSD, and
other package folks (as archived on public lists).  Without written assurance
from Tuomo that it won't, I cannot in good faith allow this code back in.
I highly doubt that that will happen.

The only situation I _might_ find acceptable is for us to follow OpenBSD's
path and reintegrate the last release of ion-3 that was GPL only, without
the extra clauses.  Otherwise, I believe we are simply risking too much.
Even that, however, I think is extremely risky, given his track record.

>From everything I've seen, the goalposts keep moving.  I do not trust that
they will not continue to do so.  Therefore, I don't want to find out, in
a court of law, which parts of this license are legally enforceable.  It's
simply not worth the trouble for one single package out of nearly 18,000.

mcl