HELP needed by experienced porter for simple review

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Dec 3 19:00:34 PST 2007

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:50:21 -0600, GP <godpost at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot!
>
> I have as you sugested, but have a problems:
>
>>>  $(MKDIR) $(FILESDIR)
>>> $(CP) ${WRKSRC}/kissdx.in ${FILESDIR}
>>
>> I don't really like to create FILESDIR and move from WRKSRC to
>> FILESDIR. The WRKDIR/WRKSRC are the place where you work anything
>> inside. However, move from WRKSRC to FILESDIR might create problem in
>> future so avoid that.
>
> When I leve it out I get this error:
> ===>  Installing for kissdx-0.13.10a
> ** Missing /usr/ports/distfiles/files/kissdx.in for kissdx-0.13.10a.
> *** Error code 1

Ummm... I went back to see your first orignal thread. I noticed that you
put Makefile and others in /usr/ports/distfiles/? You should create
'kissdx' and 'kissdx/files' (mkdir -p kissdx/files) directories. You
should make your port looks like this:

======================
kissdx/
kissdx/Makefile
kissdx/distinfo
kissdx/pkg-descr
kissdx/pkg-message
kissdx/files/
kissdx/files/kissdx.in
kissdx/files/<patch files>
======================

You should follow this below:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html

You put your 'kissdx.in' in kissdx/files/ and it will doing every thing
for you as explained in rc-scripts.html.

>> I think that's all for now. Most of answers are in the porter handbook.
>
> You are probably right. I read it first of cause. But its not very easy
> to understand, if you havent worked with porting before.
> (The are almost no examples in it.)

That's ok, you can check in other ports to get good examples. One more
that I have noticed. The 'do-install: all' should be change to
'do-install:' without have 'all' in it. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Mezz

> BR Simon

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org