duration of the ports freeze

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Sat Dec 1 07:32:13 PST 2007

On Saturday 01 December 2007 05:58:21 Thierry Thomas wrote:
> On Sat  1 dec 07 at 14:25:08 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se>
>
>  wrote:
> > The ports freeze is intended to make sure the ports tree is in a stable
> > and well tested state for the release.  Updating major ports always carry
> > a great risk of breaking things thus defeating the point of the freeze.
>
> Anyway, if the freeze is too long, and if the new version is released
> several weeks after the thaw, very few will install these packages:
> a lot of updates will be committed, and many users will update their
> ports tree to install the new versions. This is very difficult to find a
> good compromise!

I do not think we need a compromise we need a different system. We need one
that preserves continuity of support for existing systems while the new
releases are testedin a way that does not adversely impact them. The priority
needs to be the current user base not a desire to rush a new release out the
door at all costs.

David