www/dotproject out of date and vulnerable

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Sep 19 19:02:26 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 06:49:52PM -0700, Fred Cox wrote:

> > Then you haven't explained yourself very well,
> > because at the start of
> > this thread you were talking about a conflict
> > between the mysql 3 and
> > mysql 5 *clients*, not servers.
> >

> I haven't been able to verify for sure that using a
> MySQL 5 client library against a MySQL 3.23 server is
> supported.  I can't find any references on the
> MySQL.com site.
>
> In any case, you can't install mysql5?-client and
> mysql323-server together using the ports.

Correct, because the software cannot coexist in the same install
prefix.

> Typically, people installing this would have the web
> server and the mysql server on the same machine, so
> the best solution (other than dotproject finally
> supporting modern versions of the software) would be
> to link against mysql323-client.  However, there is no
> build problem with linking against mysql5?-client.
> dotproject is a set of scripts.

If there is no problem with using the mysql 5.x client, then just use
mysql 5.x and be done with it.  You need to figure out whether or not
that is true.  If it is false, then there's clearly a problem for you
(since in the situation we've been discussing php4-mysql will be using
mysql 5.x).

This whole discussion came about because you were trying to look for a
way to force everything (including php4-mysql) to link to mysql 3.x,
which is currently impossible to achieve satisfactorily without
further work on your part.

Kris