portupgrade and starting servers after upgrade.

Hans F. Nordhaug Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no
Tue Sep 19 00:50:25 PDT 2006

* Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> [2006-09-19]:
> On Tue, 2006-Sep-19 07:04:56 +0200, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> >For instance every time I portupgrade dhcpd I have to remember to start
> >it manually after the upgrade. As portupgrade knows how to stop the
> >daemon before the upgrade it should also know how to start it afterwards.
>
> Stopping the daemon is easy: "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/.... stop".
> Starting it afterwards is not quite as easy because, portupgrade
> should restore the state of the daemon to the state prior to it
> starting, not just start it automatically.  (The administrator
> may have manually stopped the daemon).

Good point, but isn't it as easy to check the status before stopping
it: "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/.... status"? You could even check the
reported pid. If the status is in some way unclear to portupgrade,
portupgrade could warn the user - "Service X not started again -
unknown status". Or am I doing it too easy?

Hans