priority of make/ports options (?) -- FreeBSD Port: sysutils/portconf

martinko gamato at pobox.sk
Fri Oct 20 19:56:22 UTC 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> martinko wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using portconf to set ports' knobs.  Also I'm setting some general
>> knobs via make.conf.
>>
>> Now I've run into this situation:
>> - i've got WITH_GECKO=seamonkey in /etc/make.conf
>> - yelp from new gnome 2.16 does not build with knob above. therefore in
>> /usr/local/etc/ports.conf i set:
>> x11/yelp: WITH_MAN | WITH_INFO | USE_GECKO=xulrunner
>> Unfortunately it does not work as I intended -- when I `portinstall
>> gnome2-lite` it tries to build yelp WITH_GECKO=seamonkey. :-/
>>
>> How can I solve this pls ??
>> How can I specify a general knob and then override it for some ports ?
>
> Don't set global knobs in make.conf. Set them in ports.conf like this:
>
> *:        WITH_GECKO=seamonkey
> x11/yelp:    WITH_MAN | WITH_INFO | USE_GECKO=xulrunner
>
> That should give you the precedence that you need.
>
> hth,
>
> Doug

Doug, thank you for the idea!

Meanwhile, when I was going to check it, I found out that I mistyped
(originally) my knob -- it should be WITH_GECKO=xulrunner (not
USE_GECKO) -- and it works now, too! :-)

Anyway, I'm going to move port related knobs from make.conf to
ports.conf (which wasn't available at the time I populated my make.conf).

With regards,

Martin