net-p2p/microdc: port is no longer in development, but there is a successor

Pankov Pavel pankov_p at mail.ru
Thu Nov 30 13:01:00 PST 2006

The port net-p2p/microdc is no longer in development and it's author
recommends to use more functional and supported fork called microdc2
instead (see http://www.nongnu.org/microdc/ and
http://corsair626.no-ip.org/microdc/).

I'm currently the maintainer of net-p2p/microdc and like to move to
microdc2, but I don't know how to be with the port. I can see several
posibilities:
1) net-p2p/microdc can be simply updated to microdc2's latest version
(IMO it's bad: package/port name would be microdc instead of logical
microdc2)
2) net-p2p/microdc can be repo-copied to something like
net-p2p/microdc2, which later will be updated to microdc2's latest version
3) add new port net-p2p/microdc2 with the microdc2 fork (and
net-p2p/microdc can be optionally marked as depriciated in favour of
net-p2p/microdc2)

As for me, I prefer the 3) variant, but I'm sure this isn't the first
dead project and there is some examples that should be done in such cases.