Fwd: [Jackit-devel] Jack still unusable on FreeBSD

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 24 21:20:30 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:12:15 -0600
"Jack O'Quin" <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/22/06, Ariff Abdullah <ariff at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:44:20 +0000
> > "mal content" <artifact.one at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello. I'm currently in dialogue with the developers of Jack
> > > (audio/jackit) with a view to getting better Jack support on
> > > FreeBSD. We've come up against an obstacle, however...
> > >

> > I have a poor man workaround for this:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ports/audio_jack/
>
> Which problem is this solving?

No, it does not solve anything. It is just a workaround for the
endless "could not handle external client request", especially during
client disconnection.

> Does FreeBSD support MACH threads now?

FreeBSD threading is pretty much POSIX compliants.

> > There will be a major fixup for the sound driver with respect to
> > latency, and I'm taking jack issues into account as well. For
> > other applications, see http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ports/ .
>
> Does JACK still use the OSS backend on FreeBSD?

Yes.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........