Fwd: [Jackit-devel] Jack still unusable on FreeBSD

Fri Nov 24 03:31:03 PST 2006

Quoting Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> (from Thu, 23 Nov 2006
09:12:15 -0600):

> On 11/22/06, Ariff Abdullah <ariff at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:44:20 +0000
>> "mal content" <artifact.one at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello. I'm currently in dialogue with the developers of Jack
>>> (audio/jackit) with a view to getting better Jack support on
>>> FreeBSD. We've come up against an obstacle, however...
>>>

>> I have a poor man workaround for this:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ports/audio_jack/
>
> Which problem is this solving?
>
> Does FreeBSD support MACH threads now?

I don't know which problem this is solving, but FreeBSD provides the
POSIX thread API.

>> There will be a major fixup for the sound driver with respect to
>> latency, and I'm taking jack issues into account as well. For other
>> applications, see http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/ports/ .
>
> Does JACK still use the OSS backend on FreeBSD?

FreeBSD only offers the OSS API. There is and most probably there will
be no ALSA support (every time this is discussed the outcome was that
ALSA is too linux specific and that the development effort spend to
implement ALSA is better spend in improving our current stuff).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
		-- Voltaire, "Epitres, XCVI"