Unable to generate ports index: gstreamer-plugins-* broken?

Michael Abbott michael at araneidae.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 03:42:00 PST 2006

Do CC replies to me: I'm not on this list.

Just ran `cvsup /etc/cvsupfile && portsdb -Uu` and got the complaint
below.  I'm guessing that something in ports is currently broken.

Trying again after removing the gstreamer-plugins-a52dec directory: looks
like I have to remove another one now.  Ok.  I'll try deleting all the
audio/gstreamer-plugins-* directories and see how that goes.

Damn: also have to delete the devel/gstreamer-plugins-* stuff, and in
graphics/ also (tiresome: `portsdb -Uu` takes ages).  Oh God.  It's in
multimedia too, and in net, www, sysutils, x11-toolkits.

So I've deleted
 	{audio,devel,graphics,multimedia,net,www,sysutils,x11-toolkits}/gstreamer-plugins-*
in /usr/ports to get portsdb to run.

Now it reports:

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait..Unknown modifier 'O'
Unknown modifier 'O'
gnome2-2.16.1_2: "/usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer-plugins-core"
non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
===> x11/gnome2 failed

Damn.  I give up.  If gnome2 depends on a broken port then I haven't got a
chance!

Here are my vital statistics, as requested in the original error report,
below.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD saturn.araneidae.co.uk 4.11-RELEASE-p25 FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p25 #7: Wed Oct  4 10:59:55 GMT 2006     root at saturn.araneidae.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
$ cat /etc/make.conf
NO_LPR=true
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
WITH_CUPS=yes

XFREE86_VERSION=4
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4
# added by use.perl 2006-03-23 15:40:30
PERL_VER=5.8.8
PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
NOPERL=yes
$

Here is the original complaint from `portsdb -Uu` with all the
gstreamer-plugins-* directories in place

Updating the ports index ... Generating INDEX.tmp - please wait.."/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 345: Malformed conditional (${gst_${GST_PLUGIN}_GCONF_SCHEMAS}!="")
"/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 349: Malformed conditional (${gst_${GST_PLUGIN}_USE_SDL}!="")
"/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 351: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 351: Need an operator
"/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 372: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec/../../multimedia/gstreamer-plugins/Makefile.common", line 372: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
===> audio/gstreamer-plugins-a52dec failed
*** Error code 1
1 error

Before reporting this error, verify that you are running a supported
version of FreeBSD (see http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/) and that you
have a complete and up-to-date ports collection.  (INDEX builds are
not supported with partial or out-of-date ports collections -- in
particular, if you are using cvsup, you must cvsup the "ports-all"
collection, and have no "refuse" files.)  If that is the case, then
report the failure to ports at FreeBSD.org together with relevant
details of your ports configuration (including FreeBSD version,
your architecture, your environment, and your /etc/make.conf
settings, especially compiler flags and WITH/WITHOUT settings).

Note: the latest pre-generated version of INDEX may be fetched
automatically with "make fetchindex".

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports.
*** Error code 1