"Bus error" and crash with gtk-2.10.6_2

Michael Proto mike at jellydonut.org
Mon Nov 13 08:24:29 PST 2006

Hello,

I recently upgraded gtk-2 to 2.10.6_2 on my FreeBSD 5.5 box so I could
install an updated firefox (was running gtk-2.6.3 which would cause a
build of firefox-2.0 to fail) and now whenever I try to access the
vertical scroll bar on any GTK2 app, the program crashes with a "Bus
error". If I try to use either the scroll bar or my wheel mouse (to
scroll inside the vertical scroll window), I get the same failure.

I can easily replicate the issue with any GTK2 app I have installed. As
a result, I used portmanager and did a recursive rebuild of all ports
that gtk-2.10.6_2 depends on (portmanager x11-toolkits/gtk2 -f) and I'm
still seeing the same, consistent, crashes. I've also rebuilt my
installed GTK2 themes to be sure they were not the issue.

Since this occurs with many gtk apps, I'm using gtk-chtheme as my test
application. I ran it inside of gdb and here's what I get when I try to
use the scroll bar in a GTK2 application:

Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
0x282c10a8 in gtk_tree_view_get_fixed_height_mode ()
   from /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

Any ideas? I've tried rebuilding gtk numerous times (with and without
gcc optimizations) to see if anything will help but I cannot manage to
kick this problem.

Here are a list of my versions of dependent ports:
Information for gtk-2.10.6_2:

Depends on:
Dependency: libdrm-2.0.2
Dependency: libiconv-1.9.2_2
Dependency: expat-2.0.0_1
Dependency: jpeg-6b_4
Dependency: gettext-0.14.5_2
Dependency: png-1.2.12_1
Dependency: pkg-config-0.21
Dependency: perl-5.8.8
Dependency: freetype2-2.2.1_1
Dependency: fontconfig-2.3.2_6,1
Dependency: glib-2.12.4
Dependency: xorg-libraries-6.9.0
Dependency: libXft-2.1.7_1
Dependency: tiff-3.8.2
Dependency: hicolor-icon-theme-0.9_2
Dependency: libxml2-2.6.26
Dependency: shared-mime-info-0.19
Dependency: xorg-fonts-encodings-6.9.0_1
Dependency: bitstream-vera-1.10_2
Dependency: xorg-fonts-truetype-6.9.0
Dependency: cairo-1.2.6
Dependency: pango-1.14.7
Dependency: atk-1.12.3

Please reply to me directly if possible, as I'm not subscribed to this
list. I'll try to follow the thread via Mailman.

Thanks,
Proto