acroread7 as plugin for Firefox

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Tue May 23 10:20:32 PDT 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 18:16, Rick Voland wrote:
> Is the acroread7 plugin for Firefox currently functional?  I can run
> acroread as a stand-alone program, but not as a plugin.  If I check
> "about:plugins" acroread is recognized as a plugin.
>
> I'm asking here because the Linux Base is under significant development,
> so I'm wondering whether this problem is known and being postponed until
> the Linux Base is more stable.
>
> The symptom is that I get "running helper", but little disk activity
> (program not loaded).  I created a symbolic link:
> ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/acroread /usr/local/bin/acroread7
> and then I get much longer disk activity, enough that I see the acroread
> program icon change, indicating it has loaded, but I still don't see the
> associated PDF content in my browser or anywhere else.
>
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0 with SMP kernel
> acroread7-7.0.1,1
> acroreadwrapper-0.0.20060221
> linuxpluginwrapper-20051113_2 (with its /etc/libmap.conf file)
> firefox-1.5.0.3,1
> plugger-5.1.3_1
> plugger-plugins-hubbe-5.0_8
>
> I've read the configuration comments by Beech Rintoul around December.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm having the same problem with one of my client's 6-STABLE boxes.
Unfortunately I can't really do much testing as I'm now running -CURRENT and
linuxpluginwrapper isn't up to speed. Acroread stopped working on the 6.x box
about a month ago, and has the same symptoms as you describe. I'll try and
get in after hours in the next couple of days and see if I can get this
working. I'll let you know what I find.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com