acroread7 as plugin for Firefox

Rick Voland rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue May 23 19:54:20 PDT 2006

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Rick Voland <rpvoland at spamcop.net> (from Mon, 22 May 2006
> 21:16:35 -0500):
>
>> Is the acroread7 plugin for Firefox currently functional?  I can run
>> acroread as a stand-alone program, but not as a plugin.  If I check
>> "about:plugins" acroread is recognized as a plugin.
>
> That's more than what you get on FreeBSD-current (there it is a problem
> with symbol versioning & the linuxpluginwrapper).
>
>> I'm asking here because the Linux Base is under significant development,
>> so I'm wondering whether this problem is known and being postponed until
>> the Linux Base is more stable.
>
> The plugin runs as native code. So as long as acroread started by hand
> is able to display a PDF, it should not be caused by the linux base. And
> I'm not aware of problems with the new linux base.
>
>> The symptom is that I get "running helper", but little disk activity
>> (program not loaded).  I created a symbolic link:
>> ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/acroread /usr/local/bin/acroread7
>> and then I get much longer disk activity, enough that I see the acroread
>> program icon change, indicating it has loaded, but I still don't see the
>> associated PDF content in my browser or anywhere else.
>>
>> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0 with SMP kernel
>> acroread7-7.0.1,1
>> acroreadwrapper-0.0.20060221
>> linuxpluginwrapper-20051113_2 (with its /etc/libmap.conf file)
>
> Would you please update linuxpluginwrapper and check the example
> libmap.conf for changes.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.
>
> --Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~150 EUR
> you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen
> http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
> http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137

Thanks for the suggestions.

No change in symptoms.

I updated my ports collection by CVS this evening,
deleted the options file in /var/db/ports/linuxpluginwrapper, and ran
portupgrade -f acroread7 linuxpluginwrapper
I chose to install acroread and realplayer.  Realplayer works fine.

I now have:
acroread7-7.0.1_2,1
linuxpluginwrapper-20051113_3

If I type
firefox [some_file.pdf]         [no symbolic link to acroread7]
I get
Usage: gv [OPTION]... [FILE]
PostScript and PDF viewer.
  --monochrome               display document using only black and white
[snip rest of ghostview message]

If I type
firefox [some_file.pdf]
[with ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/acroread  /usr/local/bin/acroread7]
Then, acroread definitely starts.  I get the warning box "There was an
error opening this document.  No such file or directory."  I get this
message when I start acroread manually.  I click "OK" and it would
normally be fine, but not started within firefox.

Thanks,

rpvoland at facstaff.wisc.edu