dependency inheritance

Frank Laszlo laszlof at vonostingroup.com
Thu May 18 15:55:04 UTC 2006

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>
>> What I'd like to know is weather there is something wrong with my port.
>> This problem makes it necessary to run 'pkgdb -F' to use portupgrade.
>> Which is annoying in my opinion.
>>

> A known problem. Prior to ghostscript-afpl being taken care of in
> bsd.port.mk, I always had to fix dependencies from ghostscript-gpl ->
> ghostscript->afpl.
>
> Same thing happens if you have lynx-ssl installed, and some other port
> depends on lynx:www/lynx, it will find a lynx binary (of course) and
> then blindly depend on www/lynx (wrong).
>
> A possible fix is to not record what's specified in the Makefile, as
> this is only a suggestion on which port to install if the dep is not
> satisfied. But to use the output of pkg_info -qo `pkg_info -qW lynx`
> which will return www/lynx-ssl on my system.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion.
> Problem: If lynx has been installed by hand, the pkg_info calls will
> fail and you'd have to fallback to the suggestion provided in the
> Makefile.

I'd say this isnt a problem, as the ports system doesnt really work
nicely with manually installed applications anyways, perhaps it could
fall over to the current way of finding dependencies if the pkg_info fails?

Frank Laszlo
System Administrator
The VonOstin Group
Email:  laszlof at tvog.net