dependency inheritance

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:27:28 UTC 2006

[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> What I'd like to know is weather there is something wrong with my port.
> This problem makes it necessary to run 'pkgdb -F' to use portupgrade.
> Which is annoying in my opinion.

A known problem. Prior to ghostscript-afpl being taken care of in
bsd.port.mk, I always had to fix dependencies from ghostscript-gpl ->
ghostscript->afpl.

Same thing happens if you have lynx-ssl installed, and some other port
depends on lynx:www/lynx, it will find a lynx binary (of course) and
then blindly depend on www/lynx (wrong).

A possible fix is to not record what's specified in the Makefile, as
this is only a suggestion on which port to install if the dep is not
satisfied. But to use the output of pkg_info -qo `pkg_info -qW lynx`
which will return www/lynx-ssl on my system.

Problem: If lynx has been installed by hand, the pkg_info calls will
fail and you'd have to fallback to the suggestion provided in the
Makefile.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD