OPTIONS and WITH/WITHOUT variables

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Tue Mar 21 14:37:14 UTC 2006

Hello,

Section 5.11.2.2, Syntax of the Porter's Handbook says:

| OPTIONS definition must appear before the inclusion of bsd.port.pre.mk. The
| WITH_* and WITHOUT_* variables can only be tested after the inclusion of
| bsd.port.pre.mk. Due to a deficiency in the infrastructure, you can only
| test WITH_* variables for options, which are OFF by default, and WITHOUT_*
| variables for options, which defaults to ON.

However I noticed that for variables that default to on, a WITH_* variable is
defined. In fact the corresponding comment in bsd.port.mk does not mention
WITHOUT_* at all. And looking at the actual OPTIONS parsing code in
bsd.port.mk, starting at line 1135 of the current revision, I notice that it
seems to be exactly the other way round than described in the Porter's
Handbook (although I'm not sure I'm reading that correctly).

Can someone clarify this for me?

Cheers
Benjamin