lang/gcc41 - libjava

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Thu Mar 16 19:58:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Today I removed the lines
> # FIXME: As of 20051202, installing libgcj nearly kills 1GB machines.
> WITHOUT_JAVA=  yes
>
> from the ports Makefile. The previous version of the Port gave me
> "virtual memory exhausted" messages, even with 800MB of free memory
> available. However this time a
>
> # make makesum build
>
> Ran through without troubles.
>
> A "make install" gave me the message again, but forcing an installation
> with "make -i install" seems to work. I only compiled a small "Hello
> World!", but that is better than nothing, I guess.

Thanks for this input!  The problem I see is that "make -i" will not only
ignore out-of-memory conditions but *any* errors occuring.

Given that we generally test updates before releasing to our users we
might get away with that, but these builds will not be reproducible:
depending on the memory in her build machine, a user will get different
results, some of which may match your positive experience, some of which
may not.

As an alternate approach, Maho-san and me are currently discussing to use
the new gmake-devel port which has fixes to address the situation on the
gmake side for the time being.

Gerald