keeping up with "gnu-libtool -> libtool15"

Csaba Henk csaba-ml at creo.hu
Tue Jun 20 16:40:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:08:08PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> I had to jump around a lot. I even forced the autotools and libtool to
> copy/link the missing stuff. I called the usage for each program
> (aclocal, autoheader, autoconf, automake, libtool) and looked for
> "force" and "copy missing bits" switches.
> [...]
> Ah... yes... I created a directory with symlinks and added it to the path.

OK, so for the example in question (FUSE) the following did the job:

  ln -s /usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 .
  (export PATH=/usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin:$PATH && libtoolize &&
    aclocal -I . && autoheader && autoconf && automake -a)

It works without/regardless of the dirlist hack.
Thanks for your tips.

Anyway, I still maintain that it is a fine idea that you can get at a
Linux/Rest Of The World compatilbe autotools environment simply by
adjusting $PATH, and that breaking this scheme so that we end up
srtuggling in a swamp of witty hacks is a Bad Idea.

Hmm, would it make sense to file a PR for resurrecting gnu-libtool?

Regards,
Csaba