NOT installing the .la files

Mikhail Teterin mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com
Wed Jun 14 14:29:36 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 07:30, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
= The current libtool port does install .la files. There's no work in
= progress to change this. If nobody sends patches to the upstream
= maintainers, there will never be a libtool version which completely
= works without .la files. So the right thing to do ATM is to *not*
= remove .la files in ports.

We go through quite some trouble to conditionally install port documentation
for many ports. Many ports also have options, which allow lighter
configurations, with some features disabled -- to save space and build times.

It may sound like "a lot of work" to save a few Kb and inodes, but remember,
that these get multiplied by the countless thousands of computers...  How
hard is something like:

	post-install:
		${RM} -f ${PREFIX}/lib/${PORTNAME}.la

anyway?

.la files are a workaround for "weird" and broken OSes. FreeBSD is neither. We
don't need them.

= There may be software which dosn't work without them.

When/IF it ever emerges, the fix for it would be quite trivial...

	-mi